Knowledge-Sharing’s Success Impact on
People, Process and Knowledge – Part 3 of 3: Transferring Knowledge
The popular saying, “Knowledge is Power,” is very true when it comes to empowering a team to reach organizational goals – whether to drive improvements in processes or to help onboard a new employee. Knowledge plays a crucial role in businesses as it enables employees to make informed decisions, ultimately performing their tasks more effectively.
When Adonis Partners works with leaders and teams as part of their continuous improvement journey, we encourage them to share knowledge through a structured approach and specific tools and technology. By educating, training, and sharing learnings through collaborative interactions with each other, leaders can successfully empower their teams to grow and be better.
Best Practices for Knowledge Sharing through People
- Secure Leadership Support
- Consider Vertical & Horizontal Interactions
- Conduct a Survey to Confirm Knowledge Awareness
- Evaluate / Test Incentives
- Cross-Train Individuals
- Be Diligent about Succession Planning
- Utilize Rotations to Spread Knowledge
- Share Project Details (Before / During / After)
- Mandate Required Training
- Create a Roster of SMEs
- Create Communities of Practice
Best Practices for Knowledge Sharing through Technology
- Shared Platforms (Easy to Access)
- Discussion Boards / Channels
- Guidelines (Style / Structure)
- Governance (Who / Gates)
- Standardized Process
- Library of Operating
- Clear Roles & Responsibilities (RACI/RASCI)
- Build a Complete Picture
- Identify & Prioritize Critical / At-Risk Knowledge
- Use a SIPOC for Specific Roles
- Map Knowledge to SMEs
Recognizing the value of knowledge as a strategic asset is the first step towards fostering and developing a culture of continuous improvement. In tandem with that, investing in initiatives to capture, store, share and apply knowledge across all areas of business is critical to a successful and long-term strategy of business growth.
Be Curious – Be Humble – Be Persistent – I embrace the opportunity to be a game-changer!